2014 has been… eventful. More health issues on our radar than ever before (something magical about crossing that four oh, huh?). But it was also eventful in that I tried lots of new things this year, and found myself being more patient in general (although you should probably ask the family if that’s really true). I think I have found that formerly elusive “pause” (don’t ask me what it is, hard to explain).
So. Here’s my pithy take on 2014.
- No weight gain or weight loss (and more importantly, don’t care!)
- Sleepover in NYC (sooo fun, should really do this every summer)
- Back pain (that persistent SOB!)
- Italy (oh, the gelatos!)
- Hired and fired cook (wonderful lady and yummy food, but all that eating is really unsustainable long-term)
- Free from coffee since September 2014 (sounds soooo much better to say “free from” than “not drinking”, no?)
- Learnt new paatus (thanks to my friend L, who sends me “just right” songs)
- Tried out several new recipes (although not nearly as many as I had planned at the beginning of the year – 100 new recipes, what was I thinking??)
- Forayed into the superfood world (chia, quinoa, flax, and soy are all standard fare now, and not bad tasting either)
- Re-discovered neighboring towns (It’s amazing how much fun, touristy stuff you can do within a few miles of your own home!)
- Eye injury (power kick from our 8-year old gymnast – alas, I was admiring her from verrrrry close proximity) but nothing that need surgery (give it time, and get on with your life – exact words from my unimpressed ophthalmologist)
- Skiing and snowboarding for the first time ever! Well. The kids are going skiing and snowboarding in the Poconos next week. We will curl up in the lodge with a steaming cuppa cocoa, and a nice chick flick (I hope!).
- (Partial) inner peace. Even in the middle of arguments, I am beginning to notice that I am not really that invested in the arguing. Makes it easier to walk away (or make up). Must be the (no) coffee!!
Two more work days in 2014, and then I am off for the rest of the year. Love this time of the year!
2015 stretches out in front of us like a delightful blank sheet of paper waiting to be written upon. I hope that it is brimming with love, laughs, health, peace, fun, friendship, and happiness.
Wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday season!