One of the best vacations we have gone on in recent times. Vermont was idyllic. The weather was fabulous the whole time – Yay!! (Although, it did rain the day we were returning. Even better, right?)
- Went hiking at Ausable Chasm in upstate NY and took the ferry across Lake Champlain into Vermont. After all these years, still so much fun to take the car across in the ferry.
- Went cheese tasting – Hot Habanero at The Cabot Cheese Creamery ROCKS!!
- Loved Stowe Mountain Lodge. Especially their bathroom scale that showed me at 8 lb lighter since January. Perhaps scale is rigged to pacify guests coming back from pigging out at cheese tasting tours.
- Played shuffle board and four squares outdoors at the lodge. Was a lot of fun. Despite insults from the girls that I was quite a horror at shuffle board and worse at four squares.
- The girls loved the pool at the lodge. Non-swimming me loved soaking my tired feet in the hot tub. And N enjoyed his uninterrupted iPad time by the fire pit while we were at the pool.
- Drank cold cider and watched apple cider donuts being deep-fried at the Cold Hollow Cider Mill. While it was quite a sight to watch, don’t think I will be so quick to reach for the chocolate-frosted donut at our local DD anymore.
- Bought Vermont-made jams, jellies, and maple syrup like there’s no tomorrow. Pretty sure the girls will be eating crackers and cider jelly for snack the rest of the school year.
- Had fun shopping and watching street performers at the Church Street Marketplace in Burlington.
- Visited the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory and felt blood boil at the outrageously priced build-your-own bears.
- Came out of the factory with two of those bears.
- Went biking on the Stowe Mountain Recreation Path and stopped enroute to check out a local farmers market. And to wade in little creeks that meandered by the path. Mmmm… heavenly.
- At the bike path, when I was taking pictures and started trailing behind the rest of the family, little A asked N to stop, got off her trailer bike, and walked back down the path (purple princess helmet and all) to see if I was doing ok.
- Hands down, that was the best part of the trip for me. 🙂